Microsoft Flight Simulator invites us to New Zealand with the new World Update
Jewel of the southwest Pacific, born from volcanic fire and carved by the sea and sky, New Zealand is renowned worldwide for its breathtaking views, from Aoraki/Mount Cook, the highest mountain in the country at 3,724 km above sea level, to Milford Sound, a spectacular fjord that the novel Rudyard Kipling called the eighth wonder of the world, to Auckland's Sky Tower, one of the tallest structures on the planet, to the Bay of Islands, a group of 144 islands and numerous small peninsulas and inlets.
The Microsoft Flight Simulator team collected the latest geographic data to create World Update XII: New Zealand, including satellite imagery, aerial photography, and digital elevation models. The team even incorporated the Hobbiton film set on New Zealand's North Island, surrounded by the region's unique natural splendor.
World Update XII: New Zealand introduces seven new cities created using high-resolution photogrammetry and triangulated modelling data:
Orbx, the acclaimed scenario developer, also offers 62 handmade points of interest to experience in flight. In addition, thanks to Orbx and NZA Simulations, nine handmade airports are available:
- Gisborne Airport (NZGS)
- Milford Sound Airport (NZMF)
- Martins Bay Aerodrome (NZMJ)
- River Gorge Airstrip (NZQE)
- Rotorua Airport (NZRO)
- Lake Tekapo Airport (NZTL)
- Whangarei Airport (NZWR)
- Westport Airport (NZWS)
- Quintin Lodge Landing Strip (T004)
To complete the release, Perfect Flight has created ten missions that invite simulators to explore the country's myriad attractions, test their skills and bask in the majesty of New Zealand's diverse landscapes from above. These missions include:
Three journeys in stages:
- The North Island of New Zealand with a Beechcraft Bonanza G36 of Textron Aviation.
- The South Island of New Zealand aboard a Pilatus PC-6/B2-H4 Turbo Porter G950.
- A historic reconstruction of the country's first air route in a Douglas DC-3 Classic
Three discovery flights:
- Auckland, the largest city in the country, in a Cessna 152
- Queenstown in a Guimbal Cabri G2 helicopter
- Lake Benmore with a neo-glider DG Aviation DG-1001E
Four landing challenges:
- A high-wind landing at Wellington Airport (NZWN) with an Airbus A320neo
- An epic landing at Ryan's Creek Aerodrome (NZRC) with a Cessna 172 Skyhawk
- A technical landing at the Gorge River Airstrip (NZQE) with a Savage Cub
- A famous challenge with an Airbus A310-300 at Christchurch Airport (NZCH).
We leave you now to the trailer showing the update.